New blog for a group of guys in art purgatory trying to find out where we want to go with our love of art. We are currently working at legoland as caricature artists. This blog is a means to challenge each other and showcase our work to each other and also stay in touch and continue to motivate and inspire each other. every week (or whenever theres time) theyll be a subject posted and the members will have a week to meet the challenge and post it. Or just post whenever you want as long as you get your stuff up there. they can be sketches, rendered paintings, digital work or fingerpaints from your own blood whatever media!! ok biznatches. do work!


Sunday, June 7, 2009

Coby at that big easel in the sky "challenge"

I just found out moments ago that our good friend Coby Castro has passed away. Coby was a great person with a huge heart as im sure you all have had a chance to experience. This news comes after only a few days of texting him and wondering where he was so i could visit. Usually hes quick to respond and since he had been in the hospital i thought that he might have just been away from his phone. I will miss his presence at lego and his awesome ball point sketches! There will be a get together at his home on the 21st from 1-4 and from what i understand from his mother all who knew him are welcome. man, i still cant believe it. he was a good guy to know and have as a friend. 
this next purgatory challenge (sorry for the hiatus) will be a tribute to Coby. create something that makes you think of him or anything that his memory inspires you to do. and if you can, bring the original to the gathering as an offering to his family. on your post say a few things about Cobes if youd like. I am still rather shocked and speechless so forgive me if i dont do this tribute post justice. all i know is Coby deserved peace from his pain and he now has it and i am at least thankful for that. Enjoy your new life free of pain and over priced art supplies Coby. 


7 comments:

Magdiel said...

no way man... peace out COBSTER!! like t said he was a great man, artist, and friend...

Twan said...

an amazing teacher, I have a lot of love and respect for Coby, may he be in peace.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to add Coby was my husbands best friend since they were 4 years old and it means alot to us and his family for all the caring thoughts all of you have for him he will be all of ours guardian angel....LOVE YOU FOREVER CAPRICE,SMOKER AND COURTNEY MCINTIRE

Ricardo Vsqz said...

Right now I cant even believe what I am reading. From my training at Legoland to when Coby needed to go back in the hospital he was such a caring and good friend. I had a whole summer to get to know him. As Antwan said he was a great teacher. I know I learned alot from him. He was one that could really understand me with the stomach condition I have. He also introduced me to the Copic markers and all the other millions he would go through.

And to you Tyson those were very beautiful words you said. Couldnt have been said any better.

Thank You Coby for everything....This still doesnt feel like its real!!

Anonymous said...

Was very happy to come across this website so that we could pay our respects to Coby. I have known him since he was in high school, my sister, Caprice is married to his best friend. I remember one day he was sitting at our kitchen table (at my mom's house) with a pad and pencil just staring at it... I walked by and asked him what he was doing, and he said he was trying to decide what to draw. I went to my room and got him a picture of my dog and said can you do this for me? Later that day I came back home and the sketch book was sitting on the table and I started thumbing through it (I wish I had that book now)... I could not believe my eyes.. That drawing of my dog is now hanging in my house, along with two others that he did for my husband and I years later. Both of my husband shoeing horses. One of which, made the cover of a horseshoeing magazine. Copies of all three of those drawings will be at his funeral, and I hope that all of you enjoy them as much as we have over these years.

Coby.... you are missed dearly. My eyes are still welling up whenever I think of you.

Dusty & Erin Simmons

Anonymous said...

Coby was a great mentor and artist - I was lucky to have met him at Legoland.

Anonymous said...

Love u cousin coby there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you or grandma! Love Scott, coy and Lisa!